Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Kore Dump

Today was the day I was anticipating to be the most impact full day of the entire trip. I have felt that so far we have seen the lucky kids who actually made it to an orphanage. Today we went to a section of town called Kore. While there we visited a ministry called Project 61. This name comes from a reference found in Isiah 61:1

The spirit of the sovereign LORD is upon me, because the LORD has chosen me. He has commissioned me to encourage the poor, to help the brokenhearted, to decree the release of captives, and the freeing of prisoners.

Kore is a district on the outskirts of Addis Ababa where approximately 130,000 people live. The people who live here are viewed as outcasts. The "refuse" of society live in a shanty town right next to a dump. Project 61 ministers to the children of this community. The people who live here, live in extreme poverty. Daily many go to the dump to scavenge for food and supplies. We were able to go directly into the dump amongst the people. It is so sad to see them rush the trucks as they arrive to get the "best" pickings as they dump the trash.

The stench is indescribable. I have a pretty strong stomach and it did not make me feel ill. To see people so desperate for garbage is heartbreaking. This is by far is the worst conditions I've ever seen a person inhabiting. For years I've said that at the point of desperation a person will stoop to any level...today I saw that. A portion of the team split and was able to go into their homes and spend time with the people on a more personal level. Even in this filth and mire the Good News of Christ is reaching the people. We were able to see the children sing His praises. We were able to love on them. I hope they were to the see the love of Christ through us! I made a special little friend today.

Her name is Beza, and if I could take her home I would. Her smile was enough to melt my heart. Another special young lady I met was handicapped and was just so happy that I spent time with her. The day was filled with hugs and kisses.

We did something very special for the kids of Project 61. Before we set out we went to the market and the whole team purchased six sheep for the ministry. They were tied up and thrown them into the trunk of
the bus. Once there, two sheep were slaughtered for the meal. The other four were kept for another meal later. One of our team members was able to slit the sheep's throat.

I have to admit I was a bit jealous. I would just like to be able to experience everything I can, but it was not meant to be. So I was able to document the whole thing. I just set my camera to shoot 7 frames per second and caught every detail. I took about 70 pictures of the slaughter and skinning. First we served all of the children. Afterward we asked if we could try it. They happily obliged and made us a bountiful plate. The meal was absolutely amazing! Of everything I've eaten so far on this trip, this was by far the best food I've had. I enjoy flavorful food, and the meat was extremely well spiced. I am so happy that they will be able to enjoy several more meals.

I got home and took a shower and shaved. I put on my dirty shorts but that was preferable to wearing my dump cloths. This experience was so impact full. It was not fun experience but I do not regret it. Except for the ant. While at the dump I felt a sting in my crotch. I had to wait to get back to the project and find a restroom. I found the little bugger and summarily squashed him. You can learn more about these people and the amazing ministry at: http://www.help4korah.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you are having a good time in ET. What a place to visit today. I gave Jojo an extra hug tonight. So glad she is part of our family:)

    ReplyDelete